The objective of the exposure visit to Rajkot was to study the good urban practices with unique technical, financial and sustainable aspects at RMC. In all, eight officials Kanpur, Lucknow, Asansol - Durgapur and Bhubaneswar along with two representatives from NIUA participated in the visit. The programme was inaugurated by the Mayor and the Municipal Commissioner of Rajkot. Prior to the project site visits, officials from RMC presented. Various projects implemented under the JnNURM were visited. An excerpt of these is provided below:
- RITE e-Governance Services: Both the RITE e-Governance and m-Governance services initiated by RMC provide different citizen centric services, back office administration services, alert services, interactive services and management services and are provided through 24x7 transaction kiosks, online payment, interactive Voice Response System, Mobile services, City Civic Centres and Post Offices.
- Raiya Water Treatment Plant (WTP): To overcome problems of scarce water supply, RMC has proposed water supply projects for an estimated cost of 85.62 cr. One such completed WTP project was visited.
- Solid Waste Management (SWM): An integrated solid waste processing facility where private partner processes the waste on no-cost basis and generates income through sale of by-products like organic fertilizer, RDF, ecobricks, sand, etc was made.
- B.R.T.S (Blue) Corridor Project: Phase 1 of the total 63 kms proposed BRTS Corridor has been successfully completed for a stretch of 10.7 kms and has 11 AC public transport buses operating.
- BSUP: Housing for urban poor under JnNURM - BSUP scheme has been constructed. Some of the houses have already been handed over to beneficiaries through a lottery system.
Apart from these, participants also visited the Solar Energy Project initiated by RMC. Another important feature was installation of solar energy units and rainwater harvesting plants at the residential units in some areas. The exposure visit basically helped to visualise some of the best urban practices in urban infrastructure projects like roads, BRTS, BSUP, SWM and also heritage areas of the city under JnNURM.